Monday, 3 August 2026

beauty treatments I would and would not recommend doing at home!

 I get it. beauty treatments can be really really expensive. getting things done professionally can feel overwhelming and you'd much rather do at home but alot of them I think are far safer to have done by a qualified therapist, so I have compiled a list of treatments I would and would not recommend doing at home to help save you some money!

WAXING - would not

now, I know you've seen those tiktok shop at home waxing kits that sound really great but please. waxing can cause some serious damage to your skin if not done correctly, such as burns, ripping off layers of skin and infection. without a proper technique and the correct angle you could seriously fuck yourself over. and anyway what will you do if you can't bring yourself to rip it off? I know I've definitely been in that situation waxing my own bikini line ;-;

TINTING - would

I literally tinted my brows and lashes today. I have been doing my own tinting since I was like 14, my mum taught me. make sure you read the instructions carefully and take care when doing lashes! tint in the eyes hurts like a BITCH!! if tint does get in your eyes, get a soaking wet cotton round and squeeze it into your eye and let it water itself out!

FALSE LASHES - would

obviously, eyelash extensions are near impossible to do on yourself but lash clusters are amazing. I love lash clusters. I dread going back to college because on my course we're not allowed them. they're SUPER easy and look amazing and also super quick to apply (about 15 min?) always patch tests glues beforehand and remove properly w a remover!

LASH LIFT / BROW LAM - would not

now, I do think you could do a brow lam on yourself, but it involves chemicals and literally breaks down and restructures the hairs so I probably wouldn't recommend trying. however lash lifts are incredibly difficult to do on yourself and you most definitely would get better results by going to a professional!

NAILS - would

as much as I love going to a salon to have my nails done, it is super duper easy to do your own mani pedi at home! gels can be harder to do and pose more risk (e.g, contact dermatitis) but a normal polish works just fine! you can get cheap ish tools and products online! for products, I recommend kaeso, the brand we use in college (£22 for their pedicure kit and £16 for their manicure kit)

BROWS - would

I always get compliments on my brows, even in secondary school before I even started doing them at college. I tint and wax them! (YES I know I just advised against waxing but I'm qualified and have a proper waxing kit so its ok) If I'm too lazy to wax them I'll take a regular eyebrow razor to shape them instead! thats what I did before I knew how to wax them anyway. eyebrow razors are definitely safer results wise, the amount of times I have accidentally waxed the ends of my brows off has actually left me traumatised.

FACIALS - would not

you might be thinking: "well a facial at home is pretty much just doing your skincare routine!" which admittedly is partially true but there is alot of other factors that go into a facial, such as masks, steaming, comedone removal etc. a professional is going to be able to take a good and proper look at your skin and know EXACTLY what your skin needs and be able to help you with products, routines and the likes!

xo emi

No comments:

Post a Comment